Home Steam in Bristol Steam Shed St Philips Marsh Steam Shed Barrow Road Bristol Steam Workings 1964


St Philip’s Marsh was one of three steam sheds serving the Bristol area, the others being Barrow Road and Bath Road.

The shed was formally opened on July 9, 1910.  Unlike its sister GWR shed, Bath Road, it was mainly responsible for providing engines for freight workings, although it did have a number of named engines, Halls and Granges on its books.

It was the second largest shed on the GWR system and had two turntables of 28 roads each, with a two road repair shed.

When Bath Road closed to steam in September 1960, St Philip’s Marsh acquired the passenger engines, having Castles on its allocation for the first time.  The shed was closed on Saturday June 13, 1964 and its remaining engines, Halls and Granges, were transferred to Barrow Road.

The shed was demolished a year later and a fruit and vegetable market was built on the site.  The modern diesel depot is situated on the opposite side of the Temple Meads avoiding line.


Shed Scenes and the last day Shed Allocation 1964