Home Steam in Bristol Steam Shed St Philips Marsh Steam Shed Barrow Road Bristol Steam Workings 1964

Engines allocated to St Philip’s Marsh throughout 1964.

Where a number is underlined, there is a link to a photo of that engine.  

Simply click on the number.

Shed Scenes and the last day

Engine

Notes

1000 County of Middlesex

Long serving Bristol engine from the 1950’s, first at Bath Road and then at St Philip’s Marsh.  One of a number of Counties allocated to Bristol, 1000 was the last to be transferred away to Swindon (82C) in January 1964.

4079 Pendennis Castle

Allocated to Bristol Bath Road in the 1950’s, 4079 was transferred to St Philip’s Marsh in September 1960.  It was in store in 1962, before being transferred to Swindon (82C) in 1962.  It returned to St Philip’s Marsh in November 1963 until withdrawal at Westbury Shed (83C) in May 1964, after failing on the famous Castle special on May 9 1964. Currently undergoing restoration at Didcot.

4088 Dartmouth Castle

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 4088 was withdrawn from the shed in May 1964.

4093 Dunster Castle

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 4093 was transferred away to Gloucester Horton Road (85B) in June 1964 on the closure of the shed. It was one of the last two Castles allocated to Bristol.

4949 Packwood Hall

Long serving Bristol engine from the 1950’s at St Philip’s Marsh, 4949 was transferred to Barrow Road in June 1964 on the closure of the shed.  It was withdrawn from there in September 1964.

4992 Crosby Hall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, it was transferred to Barrow Road in June 1964 on the closure of the shed.

4993 Dalton Hall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 4993 was transferred to Barrow Road in June 1964 on closure of the shed.

5002 Ludlow Castle

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh from November 1963 until April 1964, when it was transferred to Reading (81D)

5037 Monmouth Castle

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 5037 was withdrawn from there in March 1964.

5074 Hampden

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 5074 was withdrawn from there in May 1964.

5085 Evesham Abbey

Allocated to Bristol Bath Road in the late 1950’s, 5085 was transferred to St Philip’s Marsh on closure of the shed in September 1960.  After a period in store in 1962, 5085 was transferred away to return to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, before being withdrawn from there in February 1964.

5934 Kneller Hall

Courtesy Charlie Verrall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1961, 5934 was withdrawn from there in May 1964.

5958 Knolton Hall

Courtesy John Sutters

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1962, 5958 was withdrawn from there in March 1964.

5963 Wimpole Hall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 5963 was withdrawn from there in May 1964.

5975 Winslow Hall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1961, 5975 remained at the shed until closure in June 1964 and reallocation to Barrow Road.

6804 Brockington Grange

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in November 1963, 6804 was transferred to Barrow Road on closure of the shed in June 1964.

6816 Frankton Grange

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1961, 6816 stayed until closure of the shed in June 1964 and reallocation to Barrow Road.

6821 Leaton Grange

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 6821 remained at the shed until closure in June 1964 and was transferred to Barrow Road.

6825 Llanvair Grange

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in May 1964, 6825 was withdrawn a month later on the closure of the shed, although it was used by Barrow Road a week after withdrawal.

6846 Ruckley Grange

Long serving Bristol engine 6846 was allocated to St Philip’s Marsh from the 1950’s until closure in June 1964 and reallocation to Barrow Road.

6860 Aberporth Grange

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 6860 transferred to Barrow Road in June 1964 on closure of the shed.

6873 Caradoc Grange

Courtesy Richard Postill

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 6873 was withdrawn from there in June 1964.

6875 Hindford Grange

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in February 1964 and withdrawn a month later in March.

6878 Longford Grange

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh from 1958 until reallocation to Llanelly (87F) in April 1964.

6900 Abney Hall

Allocated to Bristol Bath Road from the 1950’s, 6900 was transferred to St Philip’s Marsh in September 1960 and then to Barrow Road in June 1964 on closure of the shed.

6908 Downham Hall

Allocated to Bristol Bath Road from the 1950’s, 6908 was transferred to St Philip’s Marsh in September 1960 and then to Barrow Road in June 1964 on closure of the shed.

6954 Lotherton Hall

A Bristol engine all its life at Bristol Bath Road or St Philip’s Marsh, 6954 was withdrawn in May 1964.

6972 Beningborough Hall

A Bristol engine all its life at Bristol Bath Road or St Philip’s Marsh, 6972 was withdrawn in March 1964.

6981 Marbury Hall

Allocated to Bristol Bath Road from the 1950’s 6981 was transferred to St Philip’s Marsh in September 1960 and withdrawn from there in March 1964.

6982 Melmerby Hall

Allocated to Bristol Bath Road in the 1950’s, 6982 transferred to St Philip’s Marsh in September 1960 and then to Barrow Road on closure of the shed in June 1964.

6990 Witherslack Hall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 6990 transferred to Barrow Road in June 1964.  Now preserved.

6997 Byrn-Ivor Hall

A Bristol engine all its life at Bath Road, St Philip’s Marsh and then finally Barrow Road.

7003 Elmley Castle

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in April 1964 and transferred to Gloucester Horton Road (85B) in June 1964.  With 4090 one of the last two Castles to be allocated to Bristol.

7436

The only un-named engine to be allocated to St Philip’s Marsh, 7436 was transferred there in November 1963 and withdrawn on closure of the shed in June 1964.

7901 Dodington Hall

A Bristol engine all its life, first at Bath Road and then at St Philip’s Marsh from September 1960, 7901 was withdrawn from there in February 1964.

7907 Hart Hall

A Bristol engine all its life at Bath Road, St Philip’s Marsh and Barrow Road, where it remained until the closure of the shed in November 1965.

7914 Lleweni Hall

Courtesy Bill Wright

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in April 1964, 7914 was transferred to Barrow Road two months later on closure of the shed in June 1964.

7916 Mobberley Hall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1963, 7916 was transferred to Swindon (82C) on closure of the shed in June 1964.

7924 Thornycroft Hall

Allocated to St Philip’s Marsh in 1962, 7924 was transferred to Barrow Road on closure of the shed in June 1964.